Betrayal

Matthew 27:1-8 NIV  Early in the morning, all the chief priests and the elders of the people made their plans how to have Jesus executed. So they bound him, led him away and handed him over to Pilate the governor.
When Judas, who had betrayed him, saw that Jesus was condemned, he was seized with remorse and returned the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and the elders. “I have sinned,” he said, “for I have betrayed innocent blood.”
“What is that to us?” they replied. “That’s your responsibility.”
So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself.
The chief priests picked up the coins and said, “It is against the law to put this into the treasury, since it is blood money.” So they decided to use the money to buy the potter’s field as a burial place for foreigners. That is why it has been called the Field of Blood to this day.

Judas, betrayer of Jesus. How sad. Judas had been one of Jesus's twelve disciples. He had been Jesus's friend. He had been in charge of the money. He went from friend to betrayer over 30 pieces of silver. Get this, the code, that Judas gave to the soldiers on who Jesus was, was a kiss. How hearbreaking. Betrayal of a close friendship with a kiss. Jesus knew it was going to happen because He had already known Judas's heart.

So here is Jesus already interrogated, falsely accused and beaten. The people in charge was planning Jesus's execution and Judas realizes what he has done. Oh the horrible remorse and guilt he must have felt, he betrayed Jesus, the Son of God! The Man that he had seen compassion displayed in so many different ways...the Man that Judas knew was innocent, he had sold for 30 pieces of silver. Judas had been there when Jesus healed the blind man. Judas had been there when Jesus had took time for the children. He had been there when He healed the woman with the issue of blood...Judas had witnessed all of these miracles. Yet Judas still betrayed Jesus.

He went back to the chief priests and elders trying to take it all back. And what was the response of the people of authority? They told him that his betrayal was his problem...it was his doing. Judas no longer wanted the money! He tried to take it all back they wouldn't take it so he threw the money into the temple. He then went and committed suicide.

Not once did the chief priests felt guilty. They were concerned about the letter of the law. What did the law say? Well the law said that since it was blood money they couldn't put it in the treasury. Where did the money for the pay off come in the first place? Didn't matter, "the law said." So they took the money and paid for a field to bury foreigners. Wow. That was nice that they were so concerned about following the law. (said in my sarcastic voice)

What can I learn from this portion of scripture? I shouldn't get so caught up in "what is right" that I throw out the compassion of Jesus. Jesus delivered us from the "law." He gave us grace and salvation. I should extend that same grace that He gave to me to others. I don't want to be the type of person that only applies the rules when they benefit me. I do want to be the person who extends grace and love. 

I also do not want to be the person who sells my relationship with Jesus for material things, "love" for money, approval from others or advancement. I don't want anything to separate me from Jesus. This means that I need to constantly evaluate what is in my life. I need to guard my relationship with Him. I need to make sure to not get so consumed with the world around me that I forget the love that Jesus has given me and others.

Trying to walk circumspectly with love and grace,

Shanin

Comments

  1. One of the most powerful reminders I have read ina long time, Shanin. Wow!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

He Came To Save!

Be Careful! Consult the Lord in Everything

As For Me, I Will Always Have hope!